A Tribute to Grandma Shelley
Something that our family has been learning as of late is that "happily ever-aftering" is not always happy. To be quite frank it, at times is the opposite. It is all based on how well we endure that will equal out the "happily" part of "ever-aftering." Brent's mom passed away last Thursday morning, swiftly and peacefully. As long as I have known her, she has struggled with her health.It was always a concern that I would have an orphaned husband in his "youth."
When Brent asked me to marry him (almost 10 years ago, yikes!) I remember being concerned what to call his dad. Did I call him dad, grandpa (we didn't have kids yet), or just Blaine. With Brent's mom it was much easier to just call her mom and grandma. From the day I entered her house she was always a warm, sweet, gentle, friend. She was always concerned with each person who came into her home. She was a peacemaker and the most wonderful hostess at all times, and in all things, and in all places. How she loved people! I learned so much from her about daintiness, manners, and etiquette. She was such an example that I loved to watch, she was magical in her people skills! She was the most wonderful story teller and she absolutely loved poetry. Her passions in life could go on and on. Above all, I believe he greatest joy was in children. Each baby that has come into our home has loved their Grandma Shelley. When Ayslind was born and I was given fancy outfit after fancy outfit, I remember being worried about my kids getting spoiled. Blaine told me to just let Kaye be grandma. Then with Cyana, Grandma couldn't stand to hear her colicky cry, so she would sing old songs to her from her childhood and rock her in her chair. We found out later that once Cyana could eat real food, Grandma had been slipping her candy. Bowyn was every one's comfort, but I think he and Grandma had a special bond as he was born the day after we buried Blaine. He loved to sit with her and have her rock and cover him up with a blanket. Lyvi in her short time loved to have Grandma bounce her. Even the last day we saw her and Kaye could barely hold Lyvi, Lyvi bounced and hugged her grandma. I remember the day we miscarried. After the doctor visit, we went to tell Brent's parents what had happened. Kaye quietly listened and shared her own wisdom that helped me survive through that time. Their home was always open to us and anyone who needed it. As much as we will miss Kaye here, we KNOW she is happier with Blaine. They are together again. She will have a body that works again and a mind that is no longer tormented by fear. The day she passed away, as all the family gathered, every person as they came couldn't help but mention how happy they felt for her. She loved her family, both extended and intimate. She was preceded in death by her parents, aunts, a grandson, a sister, and her husband. I KNOW she met Blaine again, then probably ran off to visit with her sister, mother, and aunts. I am sure that she took that baby Spencer in her arms and is taking care of him until his earthly mother can be there for him. Kaye was the example of the word motherhood in all aspects. I hope that I can live to be like her (hopefully my grandchildren will love me as much as ours love Kaye without as much sugar!) Kaye we love you and feel your joy and happiness in being free from the bonds of this life! 'Till we meet again!
When Brent asked me to marry him (almost 10 years ago, yikes!) I remember being concerned what to call his dad. Did I call him dad, grandpa (we didn't have kids yet), or just Blaine. With Brent's mom it was much easier to just call her mom and grandma. From the day I entered her house she was always a warm, sweet, gentle, friend. She was always concerned with each person who came into her home. She was a peacemaker and the most wonderful hostess at all times, and in all things, and in all places. How she loved people! I learned so much from her about daintiness, manners, and etiquette. She was such an example that I loved to watch, she was magical in her people skills! She was the most wonderful story teller and she absolutely loved poetry. Her passions in life could go on and on. Above all, I believe he greatest joy was in children. Each baby that has come into our home has loved their Grandma Shelley. When Ayslind was born and I was given fancy outfit after fancy outfit, I remember being worried about my kids getting spoiled. Blaine told me to just let Kaye be grandma. Then with Cyana, Grandma couldn't stand to hear her colicky cry, so she would sing old songs to her from her childhood and rock her in her chair. We found out later that once Cyana could eat real food, Grandma had been slipping her candy. Bowyn was every one's comfort, but I think he and Grandma had a special bond as he was born the day after we buried Blaine. He loved to sit with her and have her rock and cover him up with a blanket. Lyvi in her short time loved to have Grandma bounce her. Even the last day we saw her and Kaye could barely hold Lyvi, Lyvi bounced and hugged her grandma. I remember the day we miscarried. After the doctor visit, we went to tell Brent's parents what had happened. Kaye quietly listened and shared her own wisdom that helped me survive through that time. Their home was always open to us and anyone who needed it. As much as we will miss Kaye here, we KNOW she is happier with Blaine. They are together again. She will have a body that works again and a mind that is no longer tormented by fear. The day she passed away, as all the family gathered, every person as they came couldn't help but mention how happy they felt for her. She loved her family, both extended and intimate. She was preceded in death by her parents, aunts, a grandson, a sister, and her husband. I KNOW she met Blaine again, then probably ran off to visit with her sister, mother, and aunts. I am sure that she took that baby Spencer in her arms and is taking care of him until his earthly mother can be there for him. Kaye was the example of the word motherhood in all aspects. I hope that I can live to be like her (hopefully my grandchildren will love me as much as ours love Kaye without as much sugar!) Kaye we love you and feel your joy and happiness in being free from the bonds of this life! 'Till we meet again!