The ever dreaded statement for a stay at home mom
Well it finally happened. I have been dreading this statement from my children. I knew it would come. No matter how hard I work with them and teach them, a stay at home mom still comes across as non intelligent. One of my children, now I am not even sure who started the comments, but a couple of them agreed that "Daddy is smarter than mom." I don't understand how I can curve this appearance that I am not smart. I am constantly frustrated with being an at home mom, because I do feel like I am capable of more than sitting around make pronunciation sounds to my 3 year old and playing princesses with my 20 month old. I do feel like I am wasting away and now the evidence of how I feel, my children see me as that as well. How can I encourage my young girls that home is "great" and it is "wonderful to be an at home mom" when I don't feel that way? I feel the importance of being home, but at the expence of my own opportunity of growth? Something seems off. It is way harder to be an at home parent than to go to work everyday. It is way harder telling yourself what you are going to do and learn rather than having a boss tell you what to do and learn. I fell like I have the world of choices open to me, I can be whoever I want to be, I can study whatever I want to. With a little self discipline, I can take as many classes as I want to. The question is how do I do it? The same way I taught myself piano. Focus, practice, study, practice, and just leaping. I need to show my girls that being an at home parent is wonderful and we are not stupid. We have to be intellegent to stay sane under our own command. I have often thought of my degree and how I feel I have wasted it. Today as I think about it, I use it everyday of my life. I case manage 4 children. I run the finances of our home. I organize our medical and daily needs. I am a co CEO of our home. It is a big job. It does take a lot of time, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. I can still study my psychology at home. I can still learn about polotics and neuroscience. I can study classics and write reports. In a way blogging is my English class and I have not kept up. Maybe I will do a research paper on the finacial stability of the United States government, just to see what I can find to expand my own understanding of what is going on. This is just turning into stream of consciousness now, but I wanted to reassure myself that being an at home mom has not made me stupid!